Saturday, December 24, 2011

Dios Trio Interview

(musics on here)
(get into it)
(learn more, interview)

1.Are you Mexican, or does Dios Trio mean nothing in a name?

We are not Mexican, at least we don't think so or are unsure. Our drummer, Tony, had a cool shirt when we were in high school, and it said "Dios Mio!" which means "Oh my god" in Spanish. We were just starting to branch away from some other musical stuff we were doing, and the three of us (Tony, Tim, Justin) needed a band name. Tony was just like, "yo dudes, Dios TRIO!?" and we were like "yes." So that's basically what happened. According to google translate, it means "god trio". But that was not the intention, the words just sound cool together and it stuck. Even when we became a 4 piece when Sam joined to play bass, we decided to just keep it. So yeah that's that.

2.Who makes up Dios Trio, and what do they bring to the group?

Sam is our bass player and provides the low end to the group. Our songs really don't sound the same without him, and it's a bummer whenever he isn't around. Aside from playing bass, he without a doubt provides the band with a ton of energy. He makes it really fun to play, and just put's out a lot of positive energy. Like everyone, he contributes a lot of ideas to the group too.
Tim is one of our guitar players, and he provides a lot of the ideas and much of the spontaneity of our band. He has a really unique writing style that I think compliments everyone in the band. He is also really into guitar effects and stuff so a lot of the effects used in the band come from him. He is definitely the weirdest out of all of us, but in a good way. He draws inspiration from a lot of places, or at least it seems that way for me.
Tony is our drummer and lays down the beats for our band. I also think he gives us our most technical element, a lot of the drum stuff he does is awesome/technical. He also plays bass, not in the band, but he comes up with bass ideas sometimes. He came up with some great additional ideas on High On Bikes, just little musical touches that we feel add a ton to the songs.
Justin (me) plays guitar. I can't talk about myself in the third person, so I won't. I write some ideas and try to think about everything as a whole. Not saying the others don't either, but yeah. I think sometimes, and I think the other dudes would agree, I try to keep practices on track and keep everyone on the same page. Not sure what else I do.

3.Do you see change from the old George Bush songs, to High on Bikes?

We definitely felt a huge change from the old stuff to the new stuff. We used to be a 3 piece and would also switch around on instruments, so the sound was less consistent on the old stuff. It was a lot of fun that way, but I don't think it lead to cohesive and satisfying music, for me at least. When Sam joined, we reworked an old song "No Way, Yahweh", and felt it helped the song come alive. After that, Tim came up with a good chunk of Spoons, and knowing we had a bass player (even though he wasn't around, at school) we wrote the song with more freedom guitar wise. I feel like that song was the turning point from old stuff to new stuff. We then reworked some of the older, unrecorded songs for High On Bikes, and everything seemed to fall into place. We feel like High On Bikes is much more complete musically than what we had done in the past.

4.You have gained some popularity in the time that you’ve become a band, what is the ultimate goal you guys have or want to accomplish?

While it is cool to see people get into our band, we just want to keep having fun making music. It's sort of cliche but it's true. As far as goals that come from that though, we really want to put out something on vinyl in the future, definitely tour, and meet some cool bands. I think recording some more music would be fun too, not another full length anytime soon, but definitely some EP's or something.

5.Do you see any upcoming tour dates, or any touring at all for the spring or summer seasons of 2012?

We don't currently have anything planned, however we have certainly talked seriously about doing a small tour on the East Coast. Hopefully that can happen Summer 2012, but honestly it is difficult to say.

6.Do you still feel that there is room for improvement in your songs or music?

Absolutely. I think our band is pretty straightforward most of the time, which I think keeps it accessible to most people, however sometimes I think we want to write some crazier stuff technically. I can only speak for myself but I would consider very little of my guitar stuff on High On Bikes technical, if any. I think as a band we have a ton of room for improvement, I think that's where the fun is, trying to get better and write more interesting stuff.

7.Most of the songs are purely instrumental, why won’t you let us hear those voices a little more?

I think early on as a band, we just wanted to play music. I think having vocals early on would have changed our sound a ton, and we had already been in band's with singing, and the singing made it harder to write songs, it wasn't easy to write interesting lyrics at the time, and in some of our old bands everyone wanted to sing and that caused problems. Technically speaking too, it's tough! I think another point to make though is listening to a lot of instrumental music in high school sort of opened our eyes to really feeling music, and seeing how just instrumental stuff could make you feel something. That was definitely interesting. We're not sure if we'll be doing more vocal stuff in the future, maybe. We love doing harmonies, that is one of the most fun things we do together.

No comments:

Post a Comment