Saturday, December 31, 2011

Montgomery Drive


(such niceness)
(great fellow, acoustic, later vocals)
(interview and music)

1. Tell me what the meaning behind your musical name, Montgomery Drive, the street you grew up on, or do you just like how it sounds?

Simply put, "Montgomery Drive" refers to the street in Miami that I grew up on. A place I  spent countless hours wandering and searching throughout my life during good times and bad.

2. When did you start this project and what is the driving force behind it?

I began writing as "Montgomery Drive" in 2004 but didn't start recording or performing until late 2005. The driving force behind "Montgomery Drive" is the experiences which arise from the ups and downs of life.

3. Are all the instruments done on your own in the recordings, or do you inquire people to play them for you, also how do shows go?

With only two exceptions, all the music I have every recorded/released as "Montgomery Drive" has been written and recorded by me. On the "Crybaby" release I enlisted the help of a few friends to add certain elements to the recording including drums and keyboard. In addition, on the "Life On A Seesaw" release I was fortunate enough to have my friend Matt Silverstein at my disposal to play the midi tracks which conclude the album. As far as live shows, I tend to perform more stripped down acoustic sets. When possible I  prefer to play unplugged to maintain a more intimate and personal feel live.


4. In your opinion, how has your music grown from, the split, to Crybaby, to Life on a Seesaw?

It's night and day. As I've continued writing, my entire process has continuously changed, evolving and growing along with me. Moreover, the actual content lyrically, musically, and even in terms of the production quality has only continued to progress with each new release.

5. Do you have a goal, or something you want to accomplish with your music?

When I began "Montgomery Drive", there were never any set goals or things I was hoping to accomplish besides self expression. Since that time, I've been fortunate enough that my music has provided opportunities that have allowed me to travel to various parts of the world and perform for different audiences both near and far. This past March I traveled to Japan a week after the Earthquake/Tsunami with Unfair Roots as the first group of American Musicians to tour the island following the disaster. The primary goal of "Montgomery Drive" will always remain self expression. In terms of accomplishing things with my music, I would love for people across the globe to feel personally connected to it. Although this is something I'd like to accomplish, it is not something I would compromise my artistic integrity to gain. Furthermore, the connection with my audience is the best reinforcement and show of appreciation I can ever receive.

6. Do you still have more upcoming new tracks, and more full length records, or do you feel that you have peaked?

Yes! I actually just finished the tracks for my next next two releases (both splits) that will be coming out in 2012. The first split will feature Heffa Peppa, Rosetta Setta (MD), The Mad Skeleton (FL), and Myself. The second split will feature Love Ocean (MI), Ascia (CA), Colk (CA/JPN), Yui Daiki (JPN), and Myself. Furthermore, I am currently finishing writing new material for another EP or possibly for a full-length.

7. What is something you want everyone to know about your music, that when they listen, you want them to keep in the back of their minds, or be able to see in their imagination?

"Montgomery Drive" is my outlet, a vessel I utilize in order to deal and/or cope with life and the experiences involved. For myself, it serves as a very therapeutic way of expressing very personal matters. However, I prefer that those who listen leave it to their own imaginations and make their own interpretations of the music relating in any fashion they choose.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview :) love from ricky

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly an up and coming star writing, playing and singing in the music industry. Your presentation and interview was simply SUPER.

    Your biggest fan gm and gp.

    ReplyDelete