Friday, January 6, 2012

Double Jump Music and Interview!


(Such great music)
(acoustic and beautiful)
(one of my favorites)

1. Why the name Double Jump?


Joshua: My little brother had the name set aside for a band he thought he was gonna make and I had been wanting to use it for awhile but never had the chance. So when Julia and I started a band I thought it would be perfect to use.

Julia: I thought the name Double Jump was cute because there are two of us and our names both start with "J"! But I'm just cheesy like that.


2. When did you two meet? and what mad you start up the little duo?

We met a couple years back through mutual friends. We actually didn't start hanging out until the day we recorded "Junior High", which was about 2 months ago. We both needed an outlet due to shitty situations. Coincidentally, we both were going through break ups at the same time which led to the creation of Double Jump.

3. What was your goal when you started this group?


Joshua: Double Jump kinda just happened. We didn't have any goal in mind, but now that we've started I would say our goal is to make as many people as happy as possible with our music.

Julia: Well I originally went to Josh's house because he asked me to record vocals over a song he previously recorded. But instead, we recorded "Junior High" for some reason. After recording that we got super pumped and decided to form Double Jump! (We have yet to record that first song that we had planned to in the first place, haha)


4. Your tracks out now are fantastic, are there more to come from you two?

Yes! In fact we just finished our 7th song which will be up soon! We plan on continuing making music while Julia is away at college in Sonora, California.

5. What are you looking to do with your music?

I guess the best answer for this is: to express ourselves and to be relatable to anyone who stumbles across our music. We try and keep our music simple because to be honest we aren't the most talented musicians; making music just makes us happy.

6. Will you make a shirt, and send me one so I can wear it? Or a sticker, so I can put it on my car? Or is merchandise to far ahead right now?

We would love to be able to make merch, but at the moment we are both broke. Which means it's probably a little ways away. But when it does happen, cause it will.... We will let you know for sure! And you could wear our shirt to bed.

7. What is the inspiration for your songs? are the parts written differently like one writes guitar and the other writes lyrics?


Joshua: I guess I gather my inspiration from life. As cliche as it sounds. I know that answer is super unoriginal, but I feel that all my past experiences whether it be positive or negative plays into my writing process. If you listen to the songs you can kinda tell which lyrics were written by who. I tend to write more emotional lyrics and Julia likes to write songs about fairies and cupcakes. To be honest I am blown away every time we sit down to write. Julia is an amazing person and beyond that she is incredibly talented. That is inspiring to me. As far as who plays what, we both play guitar and any other instruments you hear in the songs.

Julia: If Double Jump consisted of Joshua alone, I'm pretty darn sure it would be listed under the genre "EMO", haha. I like to think that Josh and I bring the perfect balance of emotion into our music. I'd say I get inspired by love and hope and sprinkles and butterflies and the occasional unicorn. But in all seriousness, I just write about what I feel at that moment, whatever that may be. We really do collaborate really well and tie each other's loose ends as far as completing songs goes. We both equally play all the instruments. Although, I have to admit, Josh records most of the claps, snaps, and shaker parts because I have terrible rhythm caused by my inability to stop dancing while recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment